So I’ve now been sick for seven days. It is not fun to be sick while pregnant. First of all, pregnancy fatigue is just intensified. Second, there really isn’t a lot you can take to feel better and your immune system is depleted while you body supports the pregnancy. Finally, you wonder if you are doing damage to the baby between the treatment, coughing, everything.
So it started with a sore throat. It has moved into my chest. My throat is now raw from all the coughing, but it seems like the swelling in my glands is pretty much gone. Last night the coughing was so bad that I had to sleep sitting up on the couch, because laying down felt like I was choking. Ugh!
Here is what I’ve done as treatment:
- Tylenol–up to 2 per day for the sore throat. Worked the first day, but not so much after that.
- Gargling with salt water–1/4 t in a cup of warm water. This made my throat feel better and I’ve done it several times a day.
- Steam–boil water in a pot with some eucalyptus oil, put a towel over my head and breathe in the steam. Took it off the stove though.
- Throat lozenges–either right when I was going to bed or at work
- Vick’s vapor rub–1 x day once it started settling in my chest
- Robitussin DM–1 dose when going to bed since it has moved into my chest
- Magic mouthwash–this was something the doc (not my OB) mentioned for the sore throat pain. It is Benadryl and a couple other drugs. You swish it around in your mouth and spit it out so it is something he recommended for pregnancy. It is an interesting concept, but it really just numbed the pain for a short period. I don’t know that I would get it again, but now I have a bottle for the next sore throat.
My symptoms this week are all about being sick, not about the pregnancy. There have been a couple times where I felt nauseous, but boob pain ranges from non-existent to sore and discharge (a surprising symptom the first time around) ranges from nothing to flood gates.